Back Injury Statistics (Top Picks)
- Each year 2 million back injuries occur across the US.
- 80% of adults suffer a back injury throughout their lifetime.
- Up to 92% of back injuries are a result of stressful postures in daily life or workplace injuries.
- 95% of adults with low back pain recover within a few months, with the remaining 5% developing a chronic and disabling condition.
- Low back pain is one of the leading causes of worldwide disability.
- More than one million back injuries are sustained in the workplace each year.
- Across the US, one in five workplace injuries are back-related.
- US companies lose $225.8 billion each year as a result of back injuries.
2022 Back Injury Statistics
How many back injuries occur each year in the US?
It’s estimated that 2 million back injuries occur annually in the US.
The majority are as a result of stressful postures in everyday life or workplace injuries, with just 8 to 15% thought to occur as a result of direct trauma to the spine such as a fall.
What percentage of adults will suffer a back injury during their lifetime?
80% of adults are estimated to suffer a back injury during their lifetime.
There are many different causes, see below the top reasons identified by the Mayo Clinic:
- Muscle or ligament strain
- Bulging or ruptured disks
- Skeletal irregularities
What is the most common injury to the back?
Sprains and strains are the most common type of back injury.
This type of injury can happen suddenly after a trauma, or can develop over a period of time, such as through poor posture.
How many people recover from low back pain?
According to research published by the National Library of Medicine, 95% of people with low back pain will recover within a few months.
Some people however are not so lucky…
5% of the population’s low back pain will become chronic and disabling.
Reoccurrence of low back pain is fairly common, ranging from 20-44% within 12 months.
Plus, two previous experiences of low back pain, triple your chances of getting it again in one year.
Thankfully there are a range of back pain relief products that those suffering can try, including over the counter creams and massage tools.
Is back pain a leading cause of disability?
The latest data from the World Health Organization shows that depression is now the leading cause of disability worldwide.
However for a long time, since 1990, low back pain was the worldwide leading cause of disability.
Researchers state personal factors like metabolism, biochemistry, physical factors (a long back), and depressive tendencies have been identified as placing people at higher risk.
They also believe that there are environmental factors to consider such as:
- Job satisfaction
- Working with heavy weights
- Lengthy periods of standing
- Forward bending
- Carrying school backpacks
Back Injury Key Statistics:
- 2 million back injuries occur each year across America.
- Only 8% to 15% of back injuries are the result of a direct trauma to the spine, such as a fall.
- Between 85% and 92% of back injuries are a result of stressful postures in everyday life or workplace injuries.
- 8 in 10 adults suffer a back injury during their lifetime.
- Straining or spraining your back, is the most common type of back injury.
- 95% of people with low back pain recover within a few months.
- 5% of people with low back pain, go on to develop a chronic and disabling condition.
- Up to 44% of people who successfully treat their low back pain, will have a reoccurrence within 12 months.
- Suffered two previous episodes of low back pain this year? The chances of getting it again before the year is out are tripled!
- Low back pain is one of the leading causes of disability.
Sources: Michigan Municipal League | The Good Body | Mayo Clinic | St. Elizabeth Healthcare | National Library of Medicine | Oxford Academic | The Guardian | Springer Link | International Association for The Study of Pain
Want to learn more?
Read about the prevalence of pain conditions across the US, by exploring our roundup of the latest chronic pain statistics.