We can all agree — yoga is amazing!
It can do so much for your body physically, as well as help your mental health in numerous different ways.
From teachings to ancient texts, the practice is also bursting with thought-provoking sentiments that can really help to develop your practice.
If you’re looking for inspiration and motivation, or just want a moment of reflection, we’ve compiled a list of the 45 best yoga quotes:
Inspirational Yoga Quotes
1. "Yoga does not just change the way we see things, it transforms the person who sees." B. K. S. Iyengar
B. K. S. Iyengar founded Iyengar Yoga and is recognized as one of the most prominent yoga teachers in the world.
2. "Yoga is when every cell in the body sings the song of the soul." B. K. S. Iyengar
4. "Move your joints every day. You have to find your own tricks. Bury your mind deep in your heart, and watch the body move by itself." Dharma Mittra
Do you have the Master Yoga Chart displayed on your wall? Dharma Mittra is the man who appears in all 908 postures!
5. "Yoga is not about touching your toes. It is what you learn on the way down." Jigar Gor
Looking to improve your own flexibility? There are a few asanas that can help you get started!
6. "A photographer gets people to pose for him. A yoga instructor gets people to pose for themselves." T. Guillemets
7. "Yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self." The Bhagavad Gita
Yoga has grown massively in popularity in the past decade, yet it is an ancient practice. The Bhagavad Gita is a Hindu scripture from 200 CE that tells the story of Krishna and Arjuna, and the inner struggle for happiness through yoga.
8. "Yoga is the fountain of youth. You’re only as young as your spine is flexible." Bob Harper
Bob Harper, best known for his tv role on The Biggest Loser, advocates for the benefits of yoga for weight loss.
Yoga Quotes about Happiness
1. "The nature of yoga is to shine the light of awareness into the darkest corners of the body" Jason Crandell
This is one of our favorite yoga quotes about life!
Jason Crandell runs a yoga teacher training school, with a focus on helping to prevent and manage yoga injuries.
2. "Yoga is really trying to liberate us from… shame about our bodies. To love your body is a very important thing — I think the health of your mind depends on your being able to love your body." Rodney Yee
If you’re looking for yogis to follow on Instagram, then take a look at Rodney Yee. He shares his experiences of teaching yoga across the world to motivate and inspire you!
3. "Yoga takes you into the present moment. The only place where life exists." Unknown
4. "Yoga is a light, which once lit will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter your flame." B. K. S. Iyengar
Yoga really does have mood boosting abilities, with research showing it can even improve your self-esteem and inspire creativity!
5. "Yoga is the dance of every cell with the music of every breath that creates inner serenity and harmony." Debasish Mridha
Yoga Quotes about Change
1. "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms." Zen Shin
One of the benefits of yoga, highlighted for men in particular, is that it’s not competitive. Rather than focusing on external competition, instead you turn inwards and focus on your own personal growth.
2. "That’s why it’s called a practice. We have to practice a practice if it is to be of value." Allan Lokos
3. "Remember, it doesn’t matter how deep into a posture you go — what does matter is who you are when you get there." Max Strom
Remember it’s not a competition! Yoga can even be advantageous for those who struggle with flexibility, such as people living with back pain.
4. "Yoga will always be transformational, even when it stops being cool." Victoria Moran
Every new piece of research points to the fact that yoga is becoming more and more popular, despite its origins being traced to northern India over 5,000 years ago!
5. "The longest journey of any person is the journey inward." Dag Hammarskjold
Yoga Quotes about Gratitude
1. "Yoga begins right where I am — not where I was yesterday or where I long to be." Linda Sparrowe
Practicing gratitude has deep roots in yoga practice, encouraging compassionate and mindful behaviors.
2. "Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life." Rumi
3. "Gratitude opens the door to the power, the wisdom, the creativity of the universe. You open the door through gratitude." Deepak Chopra
4. "When you stop and really look, you see that you are supported continuously in literally countless ways. This is the highest lesson of yoga, the truth of interbeing, of no separation." Frank Jude Boccio
As one of the originators of Mindfulness Yoga, Frank Jude Boccio understands the various ways living mindfully can benefit your health and wellbeing.
5. "Gratitude is an opener of locked-up blessings." Marianne Williamson
Yoga Quotes about Breath
2. "Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths." Etty Hillesum
3. "When the breath wanders, the mind is also unsteady. But when the breath is calmed, the mind too will be still." Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Yoga can be powerful for calming a busy mind. For those struggling with anxiety in particular, there are a number of asanas you can practice.
5. "Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor." Thich Nhat Hanh
6. "Meditation is a mysterious method of self-restoration…A meditation can be as simple as taking a series of easy breaths, and slowly, gently counting to ten in your mind." Vera Nazarian
Meditation forms part of most yoga practice, offering its own range of amazing health benefits for both body and mind. It can even improve your romantic relationships…read more here.
Yoga Quotes about Strength
1. "I bend so I don’t break." Anonymous
2. "Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured." B. K. S. Iyengar
3. "Yoga is not about self-improvement, it’s about self-acceptance." Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa
For women expecting a baby, yoga can help both before, during and after giving birth. Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa leads online prenatal yoga classes to prepare both your body and mind for labor.
4. "Yoga means addition — addition of energy, strength, and beauty to body, mind, and soul." Dr. Amit Ray
5. "You have to stretch your soul to find your potential strength." Lailah Gifty Akita
Yoga Quotes about Letting Go
1. "Letting go is the hardest asana." Anonymous
2. "For those wounded by civilization, yoga is the most healing salve." T. Guillemets
3. "I have been a seeker and I still am, but I stopped asking the books and the stars. I started listening to the teaching of my Soul." Rumi
Releasing worries or fears can be hard, but relaxing your entire body through yoga can be a powerful way to also relax your mind. Practice before bed and you can nod off faster and wake up fresher!
4. "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need." Tao Te Ching
5. "When we let go of our battles and open our hearts to things as they are, then we come to rest in the present moment. This is the beginning and the end of spiritual practice." Jack Kornfield
Yoga Quotes about Life
1. "Yoga adds years to your life and life to your years." Alan Finger
Alan Finger has authored several popular yoga books and runs a range of courses online for yogis at all levels.
2. "True meditation is about being fully present with everything that is, including discomfort and challenges. It is not an escape from life." Craig Hamilton
3. "Your soul is your best friend. Treat it with care, nurture it with growth, feed it with love." Ashourina Yalda
There are many different ways you can extend your practice beyond the mat. Keeping a yoga journal for example, is one way to reflect and encourage mindful behaviors in your everyday life.
4. "Yoga is the golden key that unlocks the door to peace, tranquility, and joy." B. K. S. Iyengar
5. "Yoga is a way of getting totally drunk — not on alcohol but on life." Sadhguru
6. "When you listen to yourself, everything comes naturally. It comes from inside, like a kind of will to do something. Try to be sensitive. That is yoga." Petri Räisänen
Inspired to learn even more about the practice? Read our fascinating statistics about the growth of the industry around the world.
Looking for something a little lighter? Why not explore our list of gift ideas for yoga lovers!